Womanhood and Femininity poems

I wish I was


These clumps of fat which wobble and flap,
These shoes that kill, I walk, I can’t feel,
These curves that outline and try to define
            The way that I feel when I look in the glass
The glass that distorts, that lies. 
Tells me I’m beautiful then casts me aside.
I’m always too short, or too tall or too fat.
The reflection that laughs but never smiles back.

You wear a long skirt and you look like a nan,
Wear trousers and you look like a man.
Your hair stands on end so you look like a tree,
You cry so often, you’re salty as the sea.

Your nose is too big, your hips are too wide,
If a man tells you what to do you should always abide.

You’re free to fly but you’re trapped in a cage,
You’re the protagonist of your story but there’s only one page.

I sit back and peel open my eyes,
There are blurring colours and the world flashes by. 
Being born a new,
Once a child, now a woman,
Once in ignorance now in suppression.

How the world changes when you grow two clumps of fat,
I wish I was a girl again,

I wish I could go back.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wolf of Wall Street

Netflix's 'The Order' Review

'The Normal Heart' Theatre review- A Student re-staging of a classic